Rain Garden Quiz
A rain garden is both a rational choice and a philosophical one. Whether or not to install one really comes down to whether you want to make a personal, individual contribution to the environment, and whether a rain garden is a good fit for your landscape.
First, the rational questions:
- After a storm, do you often notice standing water somewhere on your lawn?
- Have you detected any soil erosion on your property?
- Do you have a low spot that stays damp or wet, particularly located downhill from a downspout or concrete area around your house?
Then, the philosophical questions:
- Do you care about the environment?
- Are you aware of, and concerned about, the amount of water that flows from your property into the local storm water system?
- Are you interested in a simple, low-cost way you can make a difference?
If you answered yes to one or more of either group of questions, a rain garden is a good choice for you, your community, and the environment.