- 1 large chicken, cut into 8 to 10 pieces
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head of garlic, halved horizontally
- Few thyme sprigs
- Splash of sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 lemon, finely sliced (ideally with a mandoline)
- Bunch of Italian parsley, chopped
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan. Brown the chicken pieces (in batches if necessary) over high heat with the garlic and thyme for 2 to 3 minutes .on each side until golden brown. Return all the chicken to the pan, add the sherry vinegar, and bubble until reduced by half. Drizzle over the soy sauce and honey and shake the pan to mix.
- Pour in a good splash of hot water and add the lemon slices. Let the liquid bubble and reduce down until syrupy, which will take about 10 minutes or so. By now the chicken should be cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter and sprinkle over the chopped parsley. Serve with the champ and green beans or steamed sugar snap peas.
Gordon Ramsay, from his book Gordon Ramsay's Fast Food.